How to Face Predicament in Life
Mar 8, 2020 梁廷益牧師 Rev. Ting Yik Leung
13 Now when Joshua was near Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with a drawn sword in his hand. Joshua went up to him and asked, “Are you for us or for our enemies?”14 “Neither,” he replied, “but as commander of the army of the LORD I have now come.” Then Joshua fell facedown to the ground in reverence, and asked him, “What message does my Lord[e] have for his servant?”15 The commander of the LORD’s army replied, “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy.” And Joshua did so.
Theme： When facing predicament in life, it is an opportunity to seek the Lord’s view and rebuild your relationship with Him.
In the face of Jericho's plight, Joshua shows us three lessons God wants us to learn.
1. Look up: Ask God for Help
As Joshua approached Jericho, he lifted up his eyes and looked...
2. Look Different: look from God's Perspective
Behold, a man stood before him, with a drawn sword in his hand. Joshua came to him and asked, "do you belong to us or to our enemies?"
3. Bow Down: Rebuild your Relationship with God
"No," he replied, "I have come to be commander of the Lord's army." Then Joshua bowed down with his face to the ground and said, "tell your servant what my Lord has to say." The commander of the Lord's army said to Joshua, "take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy." And Joshua did so.
God gives Joshua another chance to experience him.
1. Have you ever been at the end of your rope in your life? Can you share the situation? How did you feel? (helpless? Fear? Anxiety? Want to give up? Doubt God?)
2. In this case, what is the outcome of the event? What have you done to get through this situation?
3. Did you ever see what God wanted you to learn during this incident?
4. How does Joshua's experience help you in the future?
5. Pastors often point out that the God we believe in is a God who participates in every part of our lives. Do you have such experience? How can we experience god in our lives?