Support the Church to Expand Its Mission
Sep 23, 2018 招世超牧師 Rev. Abraham Chiu
19 Now those who were scattered because of the persecution that arose over Stephen traveled as far as Phoenicia and Cyprus and Antioch, speaking the word to no one except Jews. 20 But there were some of them, men of Cyprus and Cyrene, who on coming to Antioch spoke to the Hellenists also, preaching the Lord Jesus. 21 And the hand of the Lord was with them, and a great number who believed turned to the Lord. 22 The report of this came to the ears of the church in Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas to Antioch. 23 When he came and saw the grace of God, he was glad, and he exhorted them all to remain faithful to the Lord with steadfast purpose, 24 for he was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And a great many people were added to the Lord. 25 So Barnabas went to Tarsus to look for Saul, 26 and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. For a whole year they met with the church and taught a great many people. And in Antioch the dis-ciples were first called Christians. 27 Now in these days prophets came down from Jerusalem to Antioch. 28 And one of them named Agabus stood up and foretold by the Spirit that there would be a great famine over all the world (this took place in the days of Claudius). 29 So the dis-ciples determined, everyone according to his ability, to send relief to the brothers living in Judea. 30 And they did so, sending it to the elders by the hand of Barnabas and Saul.
Acts 11:19-30 (ESV)
1. God uses lay people to expand the kingdom of God
2. God’s Mission is difficult yet filled with joy and excitements
3. Involve in God's mission fosters spiritual growth
Reflections & Sharing:
1. The Bible says that a sincere follower of Christ will face challenges and persecution. What is your take to this statement?
2. If God moves you to get involve in a ministry of your church, what will be your concerns?
3. As a young person of the church, how can we get involve to support the church mission and spread the Gospel alongside with the adults?